Apply for a conservation partners grant

Our conservation partners grants provide financial assistance to landholders in managing their conservation area, allowing them to improve the biodiversity value of their properties. They are available under our Conservation Partners Program.

Agreement holders that do not receive annual payments under the Conservation Management Program can apply for a grant by downloading and sending us a completed grant application form at any time.


Am I eligible for a grant?

You can apply for a grant if you have one of the following NSW private land conservation agreements:

  • unfunded conservation agreement
  • trust agreement
  • registered property agreement
  • wildlife refuge agreement
  • participation in the Community Environment Network’s (CEN) Land for Wildlife Program
  • participation in the Humane Society International’s (HSI) Wildlife Land Trust program.


What will be funded?

The following activities are supported:

  • fencing—installation, repairs or replacement of wildlife-friendly conservation-related fencing (to control stock access)
  • weed control
  • introduced pest animal control
  • supplementary planting, revegetation or vegetation enhancement
  • habitat restoration—such as nest boxes, addition of ground layer including logs, rocks
  • other maintenance—such as tracks or erosion control needed to maintain conservation value

In some cases we may arrange to visit you on your property to assess eligibility and proceed with your application. During these visits, you can ask the BCT staff member any questions you have about your agreement and the activities you want to undertake.

Works already completed or funded from another source will not be eligible for a grant.

If you are unsure of the activities required to improve the ecological condition of your land and would like to request a site visit, please contact the BCT.

What funding can I get?

There are three levels of funding available:

  1. Up to $15,000 per year for up to three years for landholders with in-perpetuity conservation agreements, Trust Agreements, Registered Property Agreements.

  2. Up to $8,000 per year for up to three years for landholders with a term Registered Property Agreement.

  3. Up to $2,000 per year for up to three years for landholders with a wildlife refuge, or who are members of Land for Wildlife or Wildlife Land Trust.

Applications will be funded if they are eligible, complete and meet the assessment criteria, and if the BCT has available funding.


What will I need to contribute?

Contributions from landholders such as labour or co-contributions are encouraged. You can also request funding for your own labour, under certain conditions.


When and how can I apply?

Eligible landholders can apply for a grant at any time.

To apply for a conservation partners grant, please complete our grant application form (please download and save to your computer first). You can then either email your completed form to or print and mail it to us using the following address: 

NSW Biodiversity Conservation Trust
Locked Bag 5022,
Parramatta NSW 2124

How will my application be assessed?

You will need to complete a grant application form, where you will provide costing and details of the works you are proposing.

Applications will be assessed against the following pass/fail criteria:

  • The need for the activity has been demonstrated—either by it being identified in the management plan for the agreement, or because you have made a separate case that funding is needed because new circumstances have arisen.
  • The activity is good value for money as it is a reasonable cost compared to similar activities.
  • The approach to undertaking the activity is sound and it will deliver results to maintain the conservation values of the property.


What will I need to do if successful?

If you receive a grant, you will need to sign an agreement or letter (for smaller grants). You will then receive the first grant instalment to begin the agreed works. You will need to report on the works and acquit the grant.