Types of Agreements

The Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 (BC Act) establishes three main types of voluntary private land conservation agreements, which are explained below. Having different types of agreements for landholders is important as each landholder has different circumstances and goals for their land or farm. The agreements have been designed to deliver better support to landholders, financial and non-financial and in doing so create land use options and additional income streams for rural landholders.

The types of agreements are:

  1. A Biodiversity Stewardship Agreement (BSA) is an agreement that will provide for the permanent protection and management of biodiversity and allows for the creation of biodiversity credits. If you are a landholder, company, or Council you may wish to consider using a part of your land to generate biodiversity credits. To do this, a landholder needs to enter into a Biodiversity Stewardship Agreement, which is a voluntary agreement between the Minister for the Environment and a landholder to permanently protect and manage an area of land to improve its biodiversity values. A Stewardship Site will generate biodiversity credits which represent the expected improvement in biodiversity that will result from the protection and management of the site. A landholder can sell the biodiversity credits to developers or to the BCT and the landholder will receive payments in return for doing management actions on the property.For information on how to apply for a Biodiversity Stewardship Agreement, please complete our enquiry form which can be found here.
  2. A Conservation Agreement (CA) is a permanent agreement or agreement for a specific time period that may be eligible for stewardship payments to provide support for landholders in carrying out actions to help protect and manage the land. Landholders that are interested in this type of agreement will be able to access the Landholder Support Program. The Landholder Support Program provides a range of assistance and support to landholders, and more information can be found here.
  3. A Wildlife Refuge Agreement (WRA) is an entry level option for landholders who want to protect the biodiversity on their property but do not wish to enter into a permanent agreement. This can be a good option for landholders who wish to explore how they can become involved in land protection.